BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Backup number for host .... does not exis

2009-06-16 10:21:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Backup number for host .... does not exis
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: vezza <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, vezza AT inwind DOT it
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:58:34 +0200
Hi,

vezza wrote on 2009-06-16 08:38:35 -0400 [[BackupPC-users] Error: Backup number
for host .... does not exis]:

> [...]
> the cpool is on an external usb HD with ext3 filesystem (the HD is auto
> mounted at startup into $topdir)
> [...]
> $topdir is /var/lib/BackupPC

ok, so the setting of $TopDir and the location of your pool correspond. That's
good. I believe that is also the value the package uses (you can't change the
value simply by changing $Conf {TopDir} unless the package contains a patch to
fix that - not sure about that).

> Manually extracting data from pool is possible with BackupPC_tarPCCopy (it
> extract data but with a "f" prefix, anyway I can't extract data with
> BackupPC_tarCreate)

BackupPC_tarPCCopy is not meant for extracting data, but the fact that it
works shows that the backuppc user can access the pool. The problem seems to
be with the "backups" file.

Could you please post the following:

1. The output of running

        cd $TopDir/pc/$host; ls -ld [A-Za-z]*

   (fill in the values of $TopDir and $host).

2. The file $TopDir/pc/$host/backups (as a MIME attachment; I realize you're
   using the Backup Central forum; if that doesn't allow you to post
   attachments, you can send it to me via private email, and I'll pass it on
   to the list - wbppc at parplies dot de, if the forum doesn't show it). You
   might as well also send $TopDir/pc/$host/backups.old.

The next step will probably be to run BackupPC_fixBackupSummary, but I won't
recommend it without having looked at the backups file. If you want to try it
out right away, please at least make a backup of the files 'backups' *and*
'backups.old' so you can get them back if things turn out to go wrong. You
might also need to figure out what version of BackupPC you were running before
(not the exact package version, just the upstream version; at least whether it
was a 2.x or a 3.x version).

Regards,
Holger