BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backup takes all files

2009-06-12 15:53:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backup takes all files
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:48:53 -0500
Erik Hjertén wrote:

>> Unless you are doing different incremental levels, the two runs should
>> be exactly the same from the server's perspective, doing the rsync
>> comparison against the save full run as the base.  Can anything have
>> changed on the files (timestamps, owner, etc.)?  I'm not sure what
>> metadata it actually checks on a windows client or whether there is
>> anything different about DeltaCopy in this respect, but rsync will show
>> those differences as an update without spending any time copying the
>> unchanged content.   But even then it doesn't make sense that #335 is
>> normal again unless you have set incremental levels since it should
>> still be checking against the last full.
>>

> I find it highly unlikely that all of the files have changed as this is
> a recurring pattern which is the same on these two clients. The only
> thing I can think of is that Deltacopy (or rsync) misinterprets
> something, perhaps after a reboot or sleep on the client, but that seems
> also unlikely.

As long as the backups complete it probably doesn't hurt anything.

> The $Conf{IncrLevels} is left blank in the config file. The default is 1
> I believe. Could that cause the problem?

No, that makes it harder to understand.  That means that it should
always be using the same previous full run as the comparison base so it
doesn't make much sense for all files to appear different in the 2nd
incremental but match again it the 3rd.

> Also, the setting for XferMethod on localhost is tar, not rsyncd, which
> might explain why there is no problem with the localhost.

Tar just uses a timestamp check for incrementals so it doesn't actually
compare anything against previous runs.

 > So it seems
> the rsync is the lowest common denominator.

But only for you - I don't think anyone else has seen this happen.
Maybe Deltacopy has a bug.