BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup from the internet?

2009-06-10 18:24:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup from the internet?
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:17:08 -0800
error403 wrote:
> Hi, I want to make backups for some members of my family and I'm trying to
> find a way to use something else than netbios names, but rather
> dynamicdomains like useralias.no-ip.com .  Is there any way to do that with
> backuppc?

Define the host as "useralias.no-ip.com instead of "NETBIOSHostName".

>   Also, two computers are in the same remote house so I might need to do some
> port redirection on their router but I would need to know how to use an
> alternate port.

This is entirely dependent on the NAT device...  The good news is you
could forward (for example) port 1418 on the NAT device to port 22 on
computer "A" and port 1419 on the NAT device to port 22 on computer "B".

>   I'm thinking of installing/using some sftp server sofware on their computer.

Better would be an rsyncd service, as that would allow you to only
transfer changes.

> Thanks!

Chris