BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backing up a USB-disk?

2009-06-10 17:13:46
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a USB-disk?
From: Magnus Larsson <magnus AT vista DOT se>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:05:26 +0000
Hi!

I have backuppc runing on my home LAN, backing up 5 different computers,
and working very well. However, I have a USB disk where I keep some
stuff that I would like to back up as well. Is there a way of doing this
with backuppc? It is not always turned on and plugged in, so setting its
mount point as one directory to backup during normal backup doesn't work
(shows as empty folder when I try, when it has not been on for some time
during the backup process). And as I gather, an incremental backup when
it is disconnected means it shows as empty, even if only one run, right?
So finding the backup might be tricky.

What I would like is to have it as a separate host, and then do manual
backups when I want to. Can I do this even though the host it is
connected to already is a backuppc host? This would mean defining one
host as a subdir of another host, in the config.pl. With the same host
name and ip.

Anyone got advice on this? Grateful for any help.

Magnus Larsson