BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a USB-disk?

2009-06-10 18:07:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a USB-disk?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:57:52 +0200
Hi,

Tino Schwarze wrote on 2009-06-10 23:20:29 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing
up a USB-disk?]:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:05:26PM +0000, Magnus Larsson wrote:
>
> > What I would like is to have it as a separate host, and then do manual
> > backups when I want to. Can I do this even though the host it is
> > connected to already is a backuppc host?

Yes.

> > This would mean defining one host as a subdir of another host, in the
> > config.pl. With the same host name and ip.

No. Instead:

> You may simple configure another host (name it, for example,
> myserver-usbdisk), then set $Config{ClientNamAlias}.
>
> See
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#item__conf_clientnamealias_
> See also $Conf{BackupsDisable} on how to disable automatic backup of a
> particular host:
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#item__conf_backupsdisable_

note that you could even set the PingCmd to a shell script that checks
whether the disk is mounted (eg. '[ -f /path/to/usbdisk/.thisistheusbdisk ]'
if you have a file '.thisistheusbdisk' in the root of your USB disk's file
system - please ask if you need more details). Then you can even keep
automatic backups running (just in case you forget manual backups and the
disk happens to be plugged in at wakeup time).

You might also want to set EMailNotifyOldBackupDays or EMailNotifyMinDays.

Regards,
Holger