BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-06-10 16:13:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: jhaglund <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:21:23 -0400
There are several implied references here to likely problems with rsync and how
they are all deal breakers.  I've been trying to find a solution to this
problem for weeks and have not found any direct documentation or evidence to
support what is being said here.  I'm not skeptical, though, I just need to
understand what's going on.

Rsync is the only option for me, and I'm rather confused by the other solutions
floated in this and other threads.  On-site backup is precarious and viable
only in a datacenter type situation imho.  What about the fire scenario?
Getting the data somewhere else is crucial, and in my case I am limited to
rsync through rsh.  I'm running rsync 3.0.6 but the server is 2.6.x.  I have ~
1.9 files found by rsync and it always fails on some level.  I use -aH but it
randomly exits with an unknown error during remote comparison or the initial
transfers.  During the transfer phase it says its sending data, but nothing
shows up on the server.  The server admins are not aware of any incompatibility
with their filesystem and the internet does not seem to deal with this problem,
which brings me back to the initial question.

What does one use if not rsync?  There's no way to justify or implement backing
up the entire pool every time without a lot of bandwidth, which I don't have.
What exactly is rsync's problem?  Do I really need to shut down backuppc every
time I want to attempt a sync or would syncing to a local disk and rsync'ing
from that be sufficient?  I'd really like to know the specifics of the hardlink
and inode problem talked about in this thread like how to find out how many I
have and what the threshold is for Trouble and how the rest of the community
deals with getting pools of 100+GB offsite in less than a week of transfer time.

Lots of info requests, I know, but I really appreciate the help.  My ISP and
all the experts I've tapped are completely stumped on this one.