BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] problem backing up hosts

2009-06-08 09:01:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] problem backing up hosts
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: simon AT kmun.gov DOT kw, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 07:55:43 -0500
Benedict simon wrote:

> Thanks and appreciate your reply.
>
> actually i solved the problem
>
> let me expalin how
>
> actually my backuppc server was on 172.16.2.0/24 nwtwork and i was backin
> up a host on 172.16.3.0/24 .
> these 2 networks hav a firewall.( im using shoreline firewall)
>
> now from backuppc server i could ping the client and also
> when i ran the command
>
> ssh -l root kmdns1 whoami ( where kmdns1) is my hostname
> it prints
>  root
>
> but the backup was not staring .
>
> i jus moved the backuppc server on 172.16.3.0/24 newtork and it worked
> like a charm
>
> any good links how to backup clients on another network or a different subnet
>
> thanks and regards

If you have working routes and DNS, and pings and ssh are not firewalled
between the networks, everything should just work.  The only things that
might cause problems is that there is a ping test with a short timeout
to determine network availability and you might have problems with
netbios lookups of DHCP hosts if WINS is not properly configured - but
neither of those seems likely in your case.