BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC: Does Incremental + Old Fulls = New Fulls?

2009-06-06 22:47:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC: Does Incremental + Old Fulls = New Fulls?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 22:44:34 -0400
mixle wrote at about 19:11:35 -0400 on Friday, June 5, 2009:

 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > That's exactly what I do with my Linux box and dns-323. I've written
 > > on the dns-323 message boards about using nfs. In brief, you have to
 > > recompile/reload the kernel to enable nfs (note the user-smace nfs
 > > version won't work). Also, don't use ext3 with nfs because that leads
 > > to corruption of the directory cache and associated issues. Once set
 > > up it runs fine and fast since the dns-323 is just used for storage
 > > with all the processing (including the web front-end) happening on the
 > > linux box.
 >

 > Does the new 1.08 firmware with NFS work? I haven't tried compiling/updating
 > the linux kernel on the DNS before. (I'm sure there are docs somewhere).

The new firmware is *supposed* to support NFS but I haven't played
with it yet. Presumably they have enabled the kernel space version
(note the user-space version of nfs doesn't work properly with hard links).

 > ext2 is better then?

I'm just saying that when I recompiled the kernel 2.6.12.6 on earlier
versions of the firmware, I ran into directory listing corruption when
using nfs mounting of ext3 shares (but not with ext2). Since the 1.08
firmware still uses the 2.6.12.6 firmware and since it appears that
dlink didn't knowingly or explicitly patch the drivers, I am concerned
that the error may still persist. I haven't yet had the time (or
desire) to test the new firmware since my dns-323 has been running
rock stable for 6 months.