BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC: Does Incremental + Old Fulls = New Fulls?

2009-06-05 15:18:52
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC: Does Incremental + Old Fulls = New Fulls?
From: mixle <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 15:13:21 -0400

> > mixle wrote:
> > Quote:
> > Does BackupPC redownload all files to make a new "full" download, or does
> > it simply "fill in" the last good full backup and all incrementals since?
> >
> > The host I'm backing up takes 2+ days to backup, so it would be great if it
> > could just fill in + move forward rather than download all again.
> >
> > I'm really impressed with the ease of use of this software! It's running
> > nicely on my DNS-323 (had to turn compression off though, because it was
> > taking years to backup otherwise).
> >
> > 1.18 MB/s (not sure what other people are getting for speed on these
> > things).
>

> This depends on your XferMethod. The smb/tar methods do transfer
> everything for a full and rebuild the whole tree. This is the only way
> to find deletions and the new locations of old files under renamed
> directories. The rsync/rsyncd methods only transfer the differences
> since the last full (but need more RAM while doing it). See the docs
> for IncrLevels if you want to base incrementals on previous incrementals.

I believe I may have worded my question wrong.

Is BackupPC capable of making 'synthetic' full backups by combining a previous
full backup and subsequent incrementals to form a new 'synthetic' full backup
(synthetic since it has not been copied again from the host)?

Sorry if I misunderstood your response.

Unfortunately RAM is critically small on my DNS-323. :(

Thanks for your reply Les.