BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC: Does Incremental + Old Fulls = New Fulls?

2009-06-05 17:41:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC: Does Incremental + Old Fulls = New Fulls?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 17:36:01 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 14:26:42 -0500 on Friday, June 5, 2009:

 > >> This depends on your XferMethod. The smb/tar methods do transfer
 > >> everything for a full and rebuild the whole tree. This is the only way
 > >> to find deletions and the new locations of old files under renamed
 > >> directories. The rsync/rsyncd methods only transfer the differences
 > >> since the last full (but need more RAM while doing it). See the docs
 > >> for IncrLevels if you want to base incrementals on previous incrementals.
 > >

 > > I believe I may have worded my question wrong.
 > >
 > > Is BackupPC capable of making 'synthetic' full backups by combining a
 > > previous full backup and subsequent incrementals to form a new 'synthetic'
 > > full backup (synthetic since it has not been copied again from the host)?
 > >
 > > Sorry if I misunderstood your response.
 > >
 > > Unfortunately RAM is critically small on my DNS-323. :(
 >
 > I don't think so, but maybe someone else can comment.  I don't think it
 > is possible to do this correctly with smb/tar since they have no way to
 > track deletions/moves/renames in incrementals (well, gnutar does, but
 > backuppc doesn't use that option).
 >
 > If you have a linux box with more resources on the network, maybe it
 > would work better to NFS-mount the NAS instead of running backuppc on it
 > directly.

That's exactly what I do with my Linux box and dns-323. I've written
on the dns-323 message boards about using nfs. In brief, you have to
recompile/reload the kernel to enable nfs (note the user-smace nfs
version won't work). Also, don't use ext3 with nfs because that leads
to corruption of the directory cache and associated issues. Once set
up it runs fine and fast since the dns-323 is just used for storage
with all the processing (including the web front-end) happening on the
linux box.