BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] SMB vs RSYNCD

2009-06-03 00:07:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] SMB vs RSYNCD
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: clint woodrow <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, clint.woodrow AT dsl.state.or DOT us
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 06:01:30 +0200
Hi,

clint woodrow wrote on 2009-06-02 19:50:08 -0400 [[BackupPC-users]  SMB vs
RSYNCD]:
> Matthias Meyer wrote:
> > rsync(d) transmit only changed parts of a file (http://www.samba.org/rsync).
> > e.g. a 2.6 GB mailbox.pst and receive one new mail at sunday. rsync will
> > only transmit this one new mail.
> [...]
> Up to this point, I've assumed I wouldn't be able to roll PSTs into the
> backups because they'd be too large to send over the limited bandwidth
> every night and that they'd take too much space in the pool.  From what
> Matthias has said, it looks like as long as we have the initial backup,
> subsequent backups shouldn't take nearly as long since rsync is sending
> changes only.

this is true as long as rsync can properly detect the changes. I don't know
anything about the format of PST files. rsync usually does a good job, so if
the changes are typically small and local, it will probably work. You can
always test with command line rsync (use '-v' and '-P', see the man page for
details).

> Can I also take from this that BackupPC won't be storing full copies for
> every backup?

No, as Adam has explained. If it's any consolation, there are also Linux MUAs
(evolution) that consider mbox format such a good idea that they don't seem to
support maildir format.

Regards,
Holger