BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD

2009-06-02 12:04:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:58:34 -0500
Robert J. Phillips wrote:

> I trust Raid 5.  We have a mail server that has Raid 5 and twice we have
> lost one of the drives and been able to get the new drive, put it back
> into the Raid and let it rebuild with no down time except the time to
> put the new drive in (20 minutes).

Raid5 works, but has a serious efficiency cost on writes - and can be
extremely slow in degraded mode with a bad drive (where raid1 continues
at full speed).

> Something else I learned about Raid 5 and 6 from my research into a
> Blade server and a SAN is that the more drives you have in your Raid it
> increases that bandwidth (throughput) of the data letting everything
> work faster.

Yes, if you have about a dozen drives in the array it starts to look good.

> I don’t necessarily consider the loss of the BackupPC data a
> catastrophe.  I could see how it could be for someone that really wants
> to keep archive copies of backups.  If we have a total failure of
> BackupPC we would rebuild it and start backing up again.  I guess the
> worse scenario would be something that would not only hurt our BackupPC
> server but also damage several other servers at the same time.

The question here is what will happen after a site disaster.  Will you
collect your insurance and retire or go into some other line of work or
will you have to reconstruct your data and continue as best you can?

> The question comes down to each individual and how much time can you
> afford to rebuild the data.  Is that downtime worth the extra money to
> put in more redundancy in the drives, offsite solutions or clustered
> servers.
>

> There are so many options but they all have a positive and a negative
> and I don’t think any solution, no matter how much money you have, is
> 100% failsafe.  The odds of not being able to recover may be small but
> it is still there.

In many cases the simple solution is to run a completely separate
instance of backuppc in a different location that picks up the critical
data, perhaps over a vpn connection.  This eliminates any singly point
of failure and doesn't take much extra ongoing work.  If that isn't
practical, making image copies of the archive might work.