BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD

2009-06-01 22:51:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:47:28 -0600
Unfortunately there is a 'rebuild hole' in many redundant configurations.  In RAID1 that is when one drive fails and just one remains.  This can be eliminated by running 3 drives so that 1 drive can fail and 2 would still be operational.

There are plenty of charts online to give % of redundancy for regular RAID arrays.

With a modern filesystem capable of multiple copies of each file this can be overcome. ZFS can handle multiple drive failures by selecting the number of redundant copies of each file to store on different physical volumes.  Simply put, a ZFS RAIDZ with 4 drives can be set to have 3 copies which would allow 2 drives to fail.  This is comewhat better than RAID1 and RAID5  both because more storage is available yet still allows up to 2 drives to fail before leaving a rebuild hole where the storage is vulnerable to a single drive failure during a rebuild or resilver.

Standard RAID is not going to have this capability and is going to require more drives to improve though each drive also decreases reliability has more drives are likely to fail.

ZFS also is able to put metadata on a different volume and even have a cache on a different volume which can spread out the chance of a loss.  very complicated schemes can be developed to minimize data loss.

This is precisely the need for next-gen filesystems like ZFS and soon BTRFS.  To fill these gaps in storage needs.  Imagine the 10TB drives of tomorrow that are only capable of being read at 100MB/s.  Thats a 30 hour rebuild under ideal conditions.  even when SATA3 or SATA6 are standardized (or SAS) you can cut that to 7.5 or 15 hours but that is still a very large window for a rebuild.  On-line rebuilds and filesystems aware of the disk systems are becoming more and more relevant.