BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula

2009-06-04 03:35:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backup the backuppc pool with bacula
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:29:57 +0200
Ralf Gross schrieb:
> there is a regular discussion on how to backup/move/copy the backuppc
> pool. Did anyone try to backup the pool with bacula?
>
> I need to expand the raid volume where the pool is stored (Arecac RAID
> controller). Doing this without backup is a bit frightening (I didn't
> use LVM for the filesystem).
>
> I also use bacula to backup parts of the data. Quoting the manual:
>
> hardlinks=yes--no When enabled (default), this directive will cause hard
>      links to be backed up. However, the File daemon keeps track of hard
>      linked files and will backup the data only once. The process of keeping
>      track of the hard links can be quite expensive if you have lots of them
>      (tens of thousands or more). This doesn't occur on normal Unix sys-
>      tems, but if you use a program like BackupPC, it can create hundreds
>      of thousands, or even millions of hard links. Backups become very
>      long and the File daemon will consume a lot of CPU power checking
>      hard links. In such a case, set hardlinks=no and hard links will not
>      be backed up. Note, using this option will most likely backup more
>      data and on a restore the file system will not be restored identically
>      to the original.
>

> Has anyone tried to backup the pool with bacula?

A quick feedback:

I was able to backup my 2,5 TB BackupPC pool with Bacula in 38h.
Spooling to disk before writing to tape was enabled, so there was a
50% overheat in time (spool to disk -> despool to tape...).

But there was one major problem: bacula stores all information about
backed up files in a database. In the end my postgres db filled up
with > 50GB information about this single backup of the pool and the
disk ran out of space.

That's not that bad, because the pool files are still on tape and it's
unlikely that I need to restore a single pool file, it's more a
desaster recovery thing.

Next time I'll use baculas option to not store file information for
this type of backup.

I haven't yet tested a restore of the pool, that's next on my list...

Ralf