BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD

2009-05-29 13:27:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to use backuppc with TWO HDD
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 19:22:07 +0200
Hi Tate1,

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 03:13:37AM -0400, Tate1 wrote:

> Sorry about my bad english but i've searched a lot and didn't find a solution.
>
> I have 2 HDD and i want to split the backuppc's TopDir/pc
> (/var/lib/backuppc/pc) in 2 HARD DISK like this:
>
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/pc1 -> HDD1 (as default)
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/pc2 -> HDD2 (/myBackups/pc2)

You cannot split your backup partition like that, exactly because of the pool.

> On a old version of backuppc i did with a symbolic(soft) link between
> the folders and works well. But now with the latest version (3.1 for
> ubuntu) i think i have a problem with cpool who tries to make a hard
> link between cpool/* and /var/lib/backuppc/pc/pc2 and crashes.

Why do you want to split the TopDir? Why not just create an LVM volume
which spans both disks? Note that this might be risky, you might want to
consider a RAID1 at least since disks tend to fail.

BTW: The /myBackups/pc2 directory won't be useful for you because of the
file name mangling (and possibly compression) used by BackupPC - you'd
need a working BackupPC anyway to extract data from there.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de