BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Central & this mailing list

2009-05-28 02:31:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Central & this mailing list
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 02:23:04 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 00:15:50 -0500 on Thursday, May 28, 2009:
 > cpreston wrote:
 > >
 > >> Any reason not to compromise and provide read-only access to the
 > >> threads but add a sticky that explains and shows people how to post by
 > >> subscribing to the listserv?
 > >

 > > The biggest reason would be the purpose of the forum gateway in the first
 > > place, which is that some people prefer the forum interface in a community
 > > like this one.
 >
 > But oddly, they only prefer to ask questions that way.  Isn't is a bit
 > strange that the community you claim to attract almost never supplies
 > answers through the forum?  If they did, the mail list response would be
 > somewhat irrelevant.

That's exactly my point - the Forum format makes it easy to read
answers and ask questions but doesn't encourage or make it easy for
people to answer questions.

This is why I think a read-only forum is best. That way newbies (and
others) can easily browse past answers and can get exposed to
Backuppc. But if they want to ask a question and thus implicitly
impose on the community for an answer, they should at least be willing
to join the community mailing list hopefully for long enough to one
day give back to the next newbie who asks a question.