BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Central & this mailing list

2009-05-26 16:36:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Central & this mailing list
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:30:37 -0400
Sorry for top-posting, but my comments are in general response to your
email.

First, I certainly appreciate your reasoned and polite response along
with your attempts to minimize problems caused by the forum->email
gateway.

My main gripe though is more with the non-level playing field created
by a forum->email gateway. The fact that once in a while one sees an
annoying and/or out-of-context post is more a symptom of this
bigger issue.

Specifically, the advantage of an email list is that it forces
*everyone* to participate making it harder for the majority to
freeload by just popping in with an occasional question while leaving
it to a small dedicated few to browse the forum regularly and answer
all the questions. In other words, the "price" of being able to ask a
question is that you have to also listen to (and hopefully over time
also answer) other people's questions.  Had this been simply a forum,
I too would probably have been the type of user who just stumbles by
when I have a question and then moves on once I have it all
working. Instead, over time, as I have become more experienced, I have
not only continued to learn but also started to give back when I know
an answer.

To be honest, I used to not understand this "subtlety" and wondered
why I had to join the email list just in order to post my single
question when I had no interest in seeing other people's questions --
but that's because I was missing the whole point. To get you need to give
too.

Thus, I think a forum->email gateway creates a class of (potentially)
*lazy* users who just see this as a place to ask questions rather than
give back to the community.

Instead, I would suggest a compromise. Use the forum->email gateway to
allow people to *read* threads. But require email listserv membership
in order to post.

Of course, people could subscribe to post a question and then
unsubscribe but hopefully that will be rare. I mean when I first
subscribed to ask a question, I never would have guessed that I would
still be active on the list 8 months later...

In summary, to me this is an issue not just of occasional nuisance but
simple fairness.