BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: Limit on the depth of folders backed up?

2009-05-25 13:49:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc: Limit on the depth of folders backed up?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 13:45:21 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 19:11:57 +0200 on Monday, May 25, 2009:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Dean Lambourn wrote on 2009-05-15 13:11:43 -0700 [[BackupPC-users] Backuppc:
 > Limit on the depth of folders backed up?]:
 > > Is there a limit on the folder depth for backups?
 >
 > there is no explicit limit (as in "max. 15 levels"), but the operating system
 > storing the pool will have a limit on the maximum path length. BackupPC file
 > name mangling always makes a path longer (by adding an "f" every level and
 > prepending $topDir/pc/$host/$num/), so you might run into a problem if you
 > have *extremely* long paths (on my system, limits.h shows PATH_MAX to be
 > 4096)
 > or maximally size path components (NAME_MAX = 255). Highly unlikely, if you
 > ask
 > me.

I think the path limit may be less using the current rsync protocol
(v. 28) and Windows. I seem to remember having trouble with long file
paths. The total path limit may be just 255. I also seem to remember
that the newer protocol v. 30 allows longer paths on Windows systems
but of course BackupPC can't yet support that protocol. I'm not sure
what happens with tar or smb transfer formats and Windows.

Disclaimer: Don't quote me since I'm talking a bit from vague memory
but at least this may be give a clue where to start looking for
solutions.