BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 21:05:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Skip Guenter <skip AT skipsjunk DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 20:01:06 -0500
I believe!  I just had to get some backups built and so installed
sbackup last night on the 3 critical machines, manually ran a full and
let it do an incremental in the wee hours.  I'm not sure much of
anything could be simpler, but... a few things a couple of you might
have a wee bit of trouble with... like open text userid:passwords in the
config file!  LOL.

I am hopeful that BackupPC / rsync can improve a bit on the backup of
the machine with the busy RAID10 array.  I think it took a bit over 3
hours to create a 15GB .ful (tar.gz) backup of that machine.  I may shut
down the machines hitting that array (it's a nfs share) and see how long
it runs with that quiesced.

I KNOW the pooling will pay off on that one because there's a bunch of
file duplication in the 12 OS copies.  Plus the non-raid OS drive is the
same basic distro also.

I'm swapping drives around now so that one of the 'crunchers' can have a
RAID 1 mirror by tomorrow.  Eventually that'll be the BackupPC target
drive.  I'm off most of next week so I'll have time to "try, curse and
smile" with BackupPC next week... fair warning ya'll, get ready for more
of the noob / idiot test questions ;-)

Skip