BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 18:26:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT theingots DOT org>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 00:22:33 +0200
Hi,

Daniel Carrera wrote on 2009-05-22 21:57:23 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob
questions]:
> Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> > [...]
> > 2. Incrementals only contain hard links for new files vs. your system
> >    where every day you create a new hard link for every single
> >    file.
>
> Ok. I didn't know this. Is there any benefit to the BackupPC method? I
> kind of like my system because it makes it really easy to find a file in
> the backup, as it gives the illusion of a full daily backup.

with BackupPC, using the web interface, it's much the same, because it lets
every backup appear "filled" even if it isn't. Navigating the file system
under $topDir, BackupPC's file name mangling poses a further difficulty that
your script avoids. BackupPC needs it for pooling files with different
attributes (what does your script do if file attributes change?).

> AFAIK there is no harm in making hard links. You are just consuming inodes.

For the record: making hardlinks to files does *not* consume inodes. It adds
further directory entries pointing to the same inode. The only problem is that
file link counts are limited to something like 32000 (your file system may
vary), so you will eventually have a problem (in about a hundred years, if you
do no further pooling).

Regards,
Holger