BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Total amount of traffic data per session

2009-05-19 15:56:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Total amount of traffic data per session
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:52:03 -0800
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
>> You will find it in $HOME/pc/<host>/backups See backuppc
>> online documentation for a description of this file
>>

> Hy Matthias,
>
> the only thing I got in the docs is:
>
> "The file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/$host/backups is read to decide whether a
> full or incremental backup needs to be run. If no backup is scheduled,
> or the ping to $host fails, then BackupPC_dump exits."

Further down (under the heading "Storage layout") you'll find the
description of the per-host "backups" file.  The columns that interest
you are 3 (Start Time), 4 (End Time) and 6 (size).  Columns 3 and 4 are
used to compute the Duration in the web interface, but column 6 does not
appear to be utilized.

> What I want to get is the *real* traffic in MB which has been
> transferred for each host in each backup session, paired with the time
> it took. Actually I do as follows:
>
> - in the "Host Summary" I click on one of my hosts;
> - I look at the "Backup Summary" table and check the value in
> "Duration/mins";
> - then I scroll down to "File Size/Count Reuse Summary" but don't
> actually know which value I should consider as the *real transferred
> data amount*.
>
> Who knows how to treat and interpret values correctly so I can say: "OK,
> host1 took 32 minutes for it's last backup session, in which it
> transferred 326 Mbytes of data"?

Your choices are:
* modify the source
* make a feature request