BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Detailed explanation on how "pooling" works

2009-05-08 09:18:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Detailed explanation on how "pooling" works
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 08:12:50 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I think I haven't yet completely understood what pooling is and how it
> works: does anybody have a link for a good explanation and/or is wanting
> to explain it here?

It is simple if you understand how hard links work in unix filesystes.
The real information about a file is stored in the inode, while the
filename in the directory is just a link to this inode, which maintains
a count of links.  There can be many or no names (links) pointing to the
same inode, and most directory operations are atomic.  The contents of
files remain available on the disk until there are no links remaining
and no process has it open.

Backuppc does a hash over some portion of the file contents and uses
that as the name in the pool directory (cpool if compression is on but
the hash is for the uncompressed data). If this name doesn't exist, it
is created as a link to the inode of the new file in a backup.  If it
does, there are some more extensive tests for collisions and on a match
the new backup file is replaced by a link to the pooled copy.  The file
attributes (owner/modes, etc.) are maintained separately in the attrib
file in the backup directory since these may be different for different
instances of the same content.  This approach works whether the content
is duplicated in multiple backup runs on the same machine or the same
content is found on many machines.  A side effect of this technique is
that the pool and pc directories (and everything below) must always be
on the same filesystem.