BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.0.0 -> 3.2.0 - Major increase in backup time consumption.

2009-05-11 10:49:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 3.0.0 -> 3.2.0 - Major increase in backup time consumption.
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:07:59 +0200
Hi,

Adam Goryachev wrote on 2009-05-11 22:55:34 +1000 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
BackupPC 3.0.0 -> 3.2.0 - Major increase in backup?time consumption.]:
> Oblivian wrote:
> > We've had a BackupPC 3.0.0 installation running smoothly on Ubuntu 8.04
> > for quite some time now. However, April 15th, we upgraded BacupPC from
> > 3.0.0 to 3.2.0 (on Ubuntu 8.10) and see a major increase  in backup time
> > duration. (See enclosed  image). This is for all clients regardless of
> > OS or distro. Is there something  I have missed when upgrading? When
> > upgradring I installed the "providers version" of config files.

left to guessing, I would say that the XferMethod has changed. The only change
that could really explain this would be from tar/smb to rsync, though, and I
somehow doubt rsync is the default XferMethod in the Ubuntu package. Aside
from that, simply changing the XferMethod without otherwise touching the
configuration is unlikely to work.

> - From the minimal information provided, I would advise you to take a full
> backup, and then see how long the next incremental takes.

While that is one possibility, you should really check your configuration files
to see if they reflect what you want BackupPC to do. Simply installing the
maintainer version without checking for changes is never a good idea. Had you
not modified your local versions, you shouldn't have been asked for
confirmation in the first place.

Regards,
Holger