BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting pool / backing up to DVD

2009-05-06 13:17:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting pool / backing up to DVD
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 12:12:26 -0500
Laurin d'Volts wrote:

>>> Well, in my case, I simply want everything to backup to a DVD. In
>>> detail, I want to run a live-cd to RAM perhaps from a DVD drive (but
>>> more than likely the CD drive); afterward, I want the DVD pool to
>>> intergrate back into the system. And if anything in the system has
>>> changed, I'll have shutdown scripts or some manual control that tells
>>> backuppc to check if something has changed and then add things to the
>>> pool, which exists on the DVD.
>> That doesn't sound like backups, that sounds like persisting snapshots of
>> system state with a DVD instead of a HDD (however you imagine that should
>> work). I presume you mean a writable variant, not DVD-ROM ...
>
> I wouldn't want a snapshot of the whole system. I would want a snapshot
> of the most current state. Well, BackupPC would be directed to only take
> notice of what I designate. The reason I'm liking BackupPC is because it
> would only record to the pool files that have changed. And I find that
> attribute to allow me to not quickly and completely fill the DVD*R*. The
> thing that would more than likely be constant is the Live-CD. But I want
> the pool to be on the DVD*R*. If I remember correctly, BackupPC finds a
> way to check if files have been modified or changed from the previous
> archived file that exists in the pool. I want that same thing to occur
> but with a DVD*R*. I assume checksum comparisons might slow down
> archiving a bit. I'm not too knowledgeable about checksums and
> processing speed.

The piece you've missed is that backuppc keeps the current backup
instance that it compares for changes as a hard link to the pooled copy.
So there are 2 problems: I'm not aware of a DVD filesystem that supports
hard links, and in any case the whole pool and the backup instances that
link to it must be on the same filesystem.

>>> I talked to someone about putting it on a USB, and that's a nice,
>>> because it can be put onto a mount point. But how would I do something
>>> similar with a DVD?
>> You wouldn't.
>
> I want to... is this really, really not possible with a DVD*R*?

Nope... Not unless you find a dvd filesystem that supports hard links
and can fit everything you need on a single instance.  But, you can get
small USB-powered external hard drives up to 500GB these days.