BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting pool / backing up to DVD

2009-05-05 20:12:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting pool / backing up to DVD
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Laruin d'Volts <email.port25 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 02:05:36 +0200
Hi,

Laruin d'Volts wrote on 2009-05-05 17:58:43 -0500 [[BackupPC-users] Putting
pool / backing up to DVD]:
> [...]
> Does this mean the pool is streaming to the DVD?

you can't really stream to DVD, and the pool doesn't stream well in any case.

> Well, in my case, I simply want everything to backup to a DVD. In
> detail, I want to run a live-cd to RAM perhaps from a DVD drive (but
> more than likely the CD drive); afterward, I want the DVD pool to
> intergrate back into the system. And if anything in the system has
> changed, I'll have shutdown scripts or some manual control that tells
> backuppc to check if something has changed and then add things to the
> pool, which exists on the DVD.

That doesn't sound like backups, that sounds like persisting snapshots of
system state with a DVD instead of a HDD (however you imagine that should
work). I presume you mean a writable variant, not DVD-ROM ...

> I talked to someone about putting it on a USB, and that's a nice,
> because it can be put onto a mount point. But how would I do something
> similar with a DVD?

You wouldn't.

You're probably looking for rsync and unionfs/aufs (and maybe information on
UDF), not BackupPC.

Regards,
Holger

P.S.: I believe you've misspellt your name.