BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting pool / backing up to DVD

2009-05-06 12:51:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Putting pool / backing up to DVD
From: Laurin d'Volts <email.port25 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 11:41:24 -0500
On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 02:05 +0200, Holger Parplies wrote:
> you can't really stream to DVD, and the pool doesn't stream well in any case.
>
> > Well, in my case, I simply want everything to backup to a DVD. In
> > detail, I want to run a live-cd to RAM perhaps from a DVD drive (but
> > more than likely the CD drive); afterward, I want the DVD pool to
> > intergrate back into the system. And if anything in the system has
> > changed, I'll have shutdown scripts or some manual control that tells
> > backuppc to check if something has changed and then add things to the
> > pool, which exists on the DVD.
>
> That doesn't sound like backups, that sounds like persisting snapshots of
> system state with a DVD instead of a HDD (however you imagine that should
> work). I presume you mean a writable variant, not DVD-ROM ...

I wouldn't want a snapshot of the whole system. I would want a snapshot
of the most current state. Well, BackupPC would be directed to only take
notice of what I designate. The reason I'm liking BackupPC is because it
would only record to the pool files that have changed. And I find that
attribute to allow me to not quickly and completely fill the DVD*R*. The
thing that would more than likely be constant is the Live-CD. But I want
the pool to be on the DVD*R*. If I remember correctly, BackupPC finds a
way to check if files have been modified or changed from the previous
archived file that exists in the pool. I want that same thing to occur
but with a DVD*R*. I assume checksum comparisons might slow down
archiving a bit. I'm not too knowledgeable about checksums and
processing speed.

In my mind, I start a computer, the Live-CD spins; afterward, it boots
to RAM. From there, an rc.local script executes to configure BackupPC to
use the DVD*R* variant media as the pool. I would more than likely
decide to also configure rc.local to restore the most recent filesystem
state of things archived to / from BackupPC.

So, if I start with a generic, custom Live-CD of Ubuntu, rc.local would
mkdir /research and /office. And then the pool archives that exist on
the BackupPC DVD*R* replenish the files that previously existed in those
directories to their respective areas. And if one day I decide to type a
report called ptss-iran-soldiers.doc and put it in /research, during
shutdown BackupPC will take that file, notice it doesn't exist in the
previous backup state nor pool, put it in the pool and ignore files
in /* that already exist in the pool based on checksum, and generate a
new log of current files that exist that can be seen in the CGI
website.

The CGI website would be useful for looking through past archived files
that exist in the pool. If I decide I want a previous archive of a file,
let's say it has some kind of bibliographic source that I accidentally
deleted from the current one that shows in /*, then I can view it in the
CGI website and decide to manually restore it.

> > I talked to someone about putting it on a USB, and that's a nice,
> > because it can be put onto a mount point. But how would I do something
> > similar with a DVD?
>
> You wouldn't.

I want to... is this really, really not possible with a DVD*R*?

> P.S.: I believe you've misspellt your name.

Thanks for the catch and your words.