BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] allowing users to change their password?

2009-03-14 21:06:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] allowing users to change their password?
From: Les Stott <les AT cyberpro.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:38:03 +1100
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
Les Mikesell schrieb:

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

BackupPC distinguishes users by using a user which authenticated against
.htpasswd.

Actually backuppc uses the REMOTE_USER setting established by apache -
and apache has a large number of authentication modules that you can
use. If you already have some central authentication mechanism (ldap,
windows domain, etc.) you can configure apache to use that and not have
to deal with an extra password.

Good idea.
Still though, I would need a web backend to allow users change their
passwords. Any recommendations?

I use webmin to manage the password file, there is a htpasswd module under others called "Protected Web Directories". This allows the administrator to manage user passwords. Perhaps the usermin package from webmin can provide fine grained management of that, i haven't tried it though.

but probably what you want to try......

user_manage.cgi

This is a cgi which does allow users to manage their own passwords. I used to use this before switching to webmin. It worked well, we just moved to webmin because of its integration capabilities and the want to have system admin done using one tool.

http://stein.cshl.org/~lstein/user_manage/

Hope they help.

Regards,

Les