BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] allowing users to change their password?

2009-03-14 12:15:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] allowing users to change their password?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:05:35 -0500
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> BackupPC distinguishes users by using a user which authenticated against
> .htpasswd.

Actually backuppc uses the REMOTE_USER setting established by apache -
and apache has a large number of authentication modules that you can
use. If you already have some central authentication mechanism (ldap,
windows domain, etc.) you can configure apache to use that and not have
to deal with an extra password.

> I would like to allow users to change their (and only their) password
> stored in .htpasswd, in a web interface.
>
> Does anyone have any example code to achieve this?

If you don't already have central authentication, I believe there are
some ldap tools that would do what you want - or with mod_auth_pam you
could authenticate against system logins on the server where users could
change their own passwords with normal tools or usermin (but you have to
make /etc/shadow group readable by apache, so it is slightly insecure).