BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] scp only

2009-02-18 09:28:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] scp only
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 01:25:55 +1100

I recall seeing an announcement suggesting the FTP was now a standard
method for backuppc to do backups with, are your routers capable of
that? If not, you could probably adjust the FTP method to use scp...
Actually, what about sftp ? Does the server/router support that?

If all else fails, I wonder if we could teach backuppc to do backups
with various variables for cat, cd, ls, etc... such that it would do a
cd $share
for i in ls
cat i // read the file, and add it to the backup
done

Of course, in practice we need to also consider lots of other variables,
like directories, etc...

In this case, perhaps the best/simplest option would be a two-stage
backup, whereby your cron script pulls the config file and stores it
somewhere (on a proper unix/windows box), and then backuppc backs up
this location providing the multiple backups/versions/etc... If your
cron job runs hourly, just schedule this host hourly as well (don't
forget you can use the alias so this host can be called "routers" with a
single share /home/routers/backups, but it is actually backed up from
(eg) localhost:/home/routers/backups

Regards,
Adam