BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 38GB file backup is hanging backuppc (more info and more questions)

2009-02-15 15:20:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 38GB file backup is hanging backuppc (more info and more questions)
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:18:44 -0700
since you are already doing a database dump and backing that up, why not split the file up in to chunks?  if you use something like rar or 7z you can split the compressed files up nicely.  you could also do some magic with tar and gz.  This would save rsync the headache of md4/md5 on such a large file, which is likely where the issue is.  If you break the file up into 700MB chunks or something you will be in good shape.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net> wrote:
Tony writes:

> I missed the original post, but  I run rsync with the --whole-file
> option, but I still get RStmp files, is that not supposed to happen?

RStmp is a temporary file used to store the uncompressed pool file,
which is needed for the rsync algorithm.  It's only used for larger
files - smaller files are uncompressed in memory.

RStmp is independent of --whole-file.

Craig

http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H