BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 38GB file backup is hanging backuppc.

2009-02-06 14:29:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 38GB file backup is hanging backuppc.
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 19:27:04 +0000
On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:04:57AM -0800, Michael L. Barrow wrote in a
non-list copied email:
>In my experience, rsync doesn't play nice with really big files for
>incremental updates. I recommend that you have a unique filename so
>that you basically end up with a full backup each time around.

In this problem I am backing up on the same lan, in production it will
be backed up offsite across a slow wan, so compression and rsync
algorithms will be key.

It was working well enough before the last major database change, so I
concur that large difference in a large file appear to be causing
issues, but it looks like the problem is on the backuppc end.

Hmm, maybe if I change the rsync command for that host to include
--whole-file I can get a new baseline. Does anybody know if the rsync
perl library used by BackupPC can handle whole-file mode?

Usually the incremental changes between the files are under 100MB of
the 36GB file which makes doing daily backups possible.

Using just plain rsync (2.x) on both sides across the wan works fine
and results in a huge speedup.

But thanks for the caution. That gives me another avenue to test at
least although it may result in having to dump backupc.

--
                              -- rouilj

John Rouillard
System Administrator