BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is a switch between different transfer methods possible?

2009-02-07 10:10:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is a switch between different transfer methods possible?
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 16:07:57 +0100
On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 01:56:33AM +0100, Matthias Meyer wrote:
> I use rsyncd to backup my (Windows) clients.
> The first backup of each client needs a really long time.
>
> Would it be faster if I use smb or tar for the initial backup?

I'm not sure, but I don't expect it to be faster than rsync. You might
want to try with one client.

BTW: What's your setup? Server hardware, client hardware, amount of
data, network connection?

> Is it possible to switch back to rsyncd after this initial backup?

Yes, if you do not change share names, it's all compatible. (Note that
some excludes might have to be modified - I remember there were some
subtle differences in file exclusion handling).

> Would I maintained all the benefits of rsyncd starting with the 2nd backup?

Yes.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de