BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] sudoers

2009-01-23 12:03:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] sudoers
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:00:30 +0000
If your problem is just the permission and you already are using a copy of rsync why not use the suid flag ?
just be carefull with file permissions and ownship for security. just do the following on the machine you want to backup:

chmod 550 /path_to_copy_of-rsync/rsync
chown root:backuppc /path_to_copy_of-rsync/rsync
chmod u+s /path_to_copy_of-rsync/rsync

this will make the command rsync to run as root although you used user backuppc to lunch it, once again remember the line:
chown root:backuppc /path_to_copy_of-rsync/rsync
and be sure that no1 else is on group backuppc.

i use this setup to backup the backuppc server without using ssh (saving time, memory, and of course cpu cicles).
hope i helped
cheers,
Pedro Oliveira
On Thursday 22 January 2009 05:59:54 Adam Goryachev wrote:
> Terri Kelley wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:33 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote
> >

> >> My mistake as well, I didn't read the rsync man page well enough either.
> >> Try this one:
> >>
> >> rsync -avz -e "ssh -p 22 -l backuppc" --rsync-path "/usr/bin/sudo
> >> /usr/local/bin/backuppc-rsync"
> >> myserver.domain.net:/root/backups /var/tmp/pwrnctmpback/rsyncmanual
> >
> > Yep, but resulted in the following:
> >
> > receiving file list ... rsync: push_dir#3 "/home/backuppc/5" failed: No
> > such file or directory (2)
> > rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at
> > main.c(602) [sender=2.6.8]
> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [receiver]
> > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)
> > [receiver=2.6.8]
> >
> > Again not a directory that I specified.
> >
> > That push is just killing me.
>
> I really don't know enough about what you are doing, nor about ssh/rsync
> to diagnose any further.... Hopefully someone else will jump in with
> more info.
>
> BTW, can you confirm that /usr/local/bin/backuppc-rsync is actually just
> a copy of /usr/bin/rsync ?
>
> Regards,
> Adam

Pedro M. S. Oliveira