BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] sudoers

2009-01-22 14:42:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] sudoers
From: Terri Kelley <neteng AT farm-market DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:39:34 -0600
On Jan 22, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:15:43PM -0600, Terri Kelley wrote:
>> Ok, apparently I am particularly dense tonight. I have had the
>> following error when setting up a host:
>>
>>> Remote[1]: rsync: push_dir#3 "/home/backuppc/15" failed: No such
>>> file
>>> or directory (2)
>>> Remote[1]: rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs
>>> (code 3) at main.c(602) [sender=2.6.8]
>>> Read EOF:
>>> Tried again: got 0 bytes
>>> fileListReceive() failed
>>
>> The above directory doesn't exist and shouldn't and I don't have it
>> anywhere in backuppc for that host.
>>
>> So I am trying to test using rsync via command line from the backuppc
>> server to test the problem. The host server automatically backs up
>> its
>> files to a directory/files owned etc by root and I am trying to
>> backup
>> that host to backuppc. If I rsync from the backuppc server as root,
>> that works. So I am trying to rsync as backuppc user. I have entered
>> the following in visudo on the host:
>>
>> ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
>> root    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
>> backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/local/bin/backuppc-rsync
>> backuppc ALL=NOPASSWD:/root/backups/
>>
> I don't think that last line is right.  You are supposed to list a
> command that the user can run, and "/root/backups/" is not a command.
>
> You seem to want to give user "backuppc" read access to /root/
> backups/, but is not being accomplished.  If you want to specify a
> specific path that backuppc is allowed to back up, you need
> something like:
>
> ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender *

The backuppc-rsync above refers to the following script:

#!/bin/sh -f
exec /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender $*

And you are right, I want user backuppc to have read access to /root/
backups (owned etc by root) since that server itself creates its on
backups and stores them there. I had put the /root/backups in visudo
because of the trouble I was having and I guess I was punting.

 From the backuppc server as root (have to type in password) this works:
rsync -avz -e "ssh -p 22" myserver.domain.net:/root/backups /var/tmp/
pwrnctmpback/rsyncmanual

 From the backuppc server as user "backuppc" this results in the
mentioned push_dir failure:
rsync -avz -e "ssh -p 22 -l backuppc" --rsync-path "/usr/bin/sudo /usr/
local/bin/backuppc-rsync" myserver.domain.net:/root/backups /var/tmp/
pwrnctmpback/rsyncmanual

Terri