BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Designing a BackupPC install over a WAN - minimising Full backups

2009-01-23 00:52:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Designing a BackupPC install over a WAN - minimising Full backups
From: Peter Wright <pete AT flooble DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:51:27 +0900
On 23/01 16:35:09, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> Peter Wright wrote:
> > My key issue is that if I'm interested in bandwidth minimisation above
> > all else, why would I want to do anything other than
> > incremental-since-the-most-recent-previous-incremental, regardless
> > of the "level" concept?
>
> Actually, it is the opposite. If bandwidth minimisation is your only
> concern, then every backup should be a full..... Since each backup
> will only transfer the changed portions of existing files, or new
> files, compared to the previous (full) backup. This will minimise
> your bandwidth usage.
[ snip rest ]

Okay, in that case I think I've completely and utterly misunderstood
what a full backup is in backuppc terminology (and the difference to
an "incremental" backup).

I may have to resort to reading the documentation and/or the source
code a little more carefully. Or conduct tests to see what *actually*
happens on backup runs.

Thanks for your conscientious efforts in trying to explain. :)

Pete.
--
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
don't you understand?