BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Designing a BackupPC install over a WAN - minimising Full backups

2009-01-21 04:51:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Designing a BackupPC install over a WAN - minimising Full backups
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:48:50 +0100
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 02:08:31PM +0900, Peter Wright wrote:

> > > Idealy I would love the system to be able to sit in place and make
> > > regular incrementals of the data with the most minimal of network
> > > traffic requried to backup the data.
>
> > Contrary to popular belief, you really want to have regular full
> > backups as part of your plan to reduce data transferred over your wan.
> > An incremental backup will transfer changed data from the previous
> > full or incremental of a lower level.
>
> Can backuppc be configured to transfer changed data from the previous
> incremental of the *same* level, or would this require a patch?

Why would you want to do that? The previous incremental of the same
level is a lot older and you'd need to transfer a lot more changes.
In default configuration (IIRC), your backups with weekly full would
look like this:

- level-0 = full
- level-1 incr
- level-2 incr
- level-3 incr
- level-1 incr (based on full)
- level-2 incr
- level-3 incr

The second level-1 incremental will transfer all changes since the full
backup.

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de