BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] errors in cpool after e2fsck corrections

2009-01-18 13:23:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] errors in cpool after e2fsck corrections
From: qfora AT quen DOT net(R. Quenett)
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:45:09 -0600
from: Holger Parplies

"  Hi,
"
"  Matthias Meyer wrote on 2009-01-18 15:33:30 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
errors in cpool after e2fsck corrections]:
"  > Johan Ehnberg wrote:
"  > > Quoting Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>:

"  > >> I believe the reason is that
"  > >> /var/lib/backuppc/cpool/8/4/5/845a684e4a8c9fe22d11484dc13e24fc
"  > >> is a directory and not a file. Probably during e2fsck created.

"  no, e2fsck does not *create* directories; this is a clear evidence of on-disk
"  data corruption.

"  The key phrase is
"
"  > > - Look for the reason for the crash/corruption and prevent it
"  > > from happening
"
"  - this can likely mean exchanging the disk (cables, mainboard, memory, power
"  supply ...). You don't give any details about your system crash or hardware

In my case, I believe it was memory.  I had three sticks go bad one
after the other without immediately showing up under intensive
checking with mtest.  There may have been an underlying reason for
that.  I also changed the power supply on spec.  New memory has been
running for over a month now with no obvious problems.

"  Yes, but do you know the implementation of the ext[23] file system well
enough
"  to tell what will happen to possible corruption of file system metadata?

My suspicion (it's no more than that) in my case is that there was
other corruption which also affected the operation of fsck (and
probably other things as well) itself.  I found a statically linked
version of fsck which helped quite a bit but I eventually wound up
restoring the entire machine essentially from bare metal.  As usual,
my worst enemy was ( and is :-) my own ignorance.