BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] errors in cpool after e2fsck corrections

2009-01-18 09:04:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] errors in cpool after e2fsck corrections
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:02:11 +0200
Quoting Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>:

> After a system crash and tons of errors in my ext3 filesystem I have to run
> e2fsck.
> During this I lost some GB of data in /var/lib/backuppc.
> For the time being I have disabled BackupPC_nightly by renaming it to
> BackupPC_nightly.disabled ;-)
>
> The rest of the backuppc system should run as well as possible.
>
> Now I get some errors from BackupPC_link:
> BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling
> MakeFileLink(/var/lib/backuppc/pc/firewall/0/f%2f/fvar/flog/flogwatch/f2008-12-26,
> 845a684e4a8c9fe22d11484dc13e24fc, 1)
>
> I believe the reason is that
> /var/lib/backuppc/cpool/8/4/5/845a684e4a8c9fe22d11484dc13e24fc
> is a directory and not a file. Probably during e2fsck created.
>
> What should I do?
> Should I delete all directories in /var/lib/backuppc/cpool/?/?/?/*
> or would BackupPC_nightly do this job?
>
> Is it a problem to disable BackupPC_nightly?
>
> Thanks
> Matthias
> --
> Don't Panic

Matthias,

Sorry to hear about that. I would recommend the following:
- Consider all the backed up data corrupt (don't build any new backups on it)
- Start a fresh pool, saving the old one for the duration of your normal cycle
- Look for the reason for the crash/corruption and prevent it from happening
- After that, there's no need to disable nightly

If a full backup is not possible (remote rsync), it may be feasible to
check the
integrity of the pool (VerifyProb=1 for a while) and manually correct any
problems. But beware, if there are many errors it could take ages.

Hth,
Johan Ehnberg