BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup once a night settings

2009-01-16 18:13:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup once a night settings
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:12:03 -0600
Yaakov Chaikin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure what settings to change and to what in order to
> trigger a full backup every night at 3am and keep 7 days worth of
> backups before deleting them...
>
> I'd rather stick with the web-based GUI-provided settings. So, what
> settings do I change (from default ones) on the Schedule tab in the
> web-based GUI (when you click Edit Config) to accomplish this?

Normally you don't say when to run a backup.  Instead you set the
BlackoutPeriods to cover the times when backups should not be done so
the server can run through them as quickly as possible once you are into
the acceptable range. It also won't start a new incremental until the
IncPeriod time (in fractional days) has expired and it won't start a
full until FullPeriod has expired since the last one, so if you can kick
the first one off at approximately the right time with the web interface
  subsequent runs will happen somewhere near the same time anyway.

Be sure you understand how backuppc pools files before reducing the time
backups are kept.  Unless you have frequently changing content you won't
save much space with a shorter history.