BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Excluding "Temporary Internet Files" to avoid log errors

2009-01-16 11:16:33
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Excluding "Temporary Internet Files" to avoid log errors
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:13:27 +0100
I just included an additional share to be included into the backups on
an XP machine (c/Documents and Settings/Juergen - my own directory on my
wifes PC, backups are done by the user Juergen) and got flooded with
messages in the error log of the type:

Remote[1]: rsync: readlink_stat("Local Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/Content.IE5/1F5UL...snip...SQWQ.jpg" (in docs-juergen)) failed:
File name too long (91)

Checking some time later, I did not find these files. I assume that
these files are temporarily created during the backup process.

Question 1: is this right?

I then did some googling and found a reference to the BackupPC wiki
which gives valuable suggestions for exclude files:

http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/Common_backup_excludes

- but I had not found the corresponding item in the index of the wiki
(left frame).

Question 2: is this a problem of my browser (I had tried with firefox
and with konqueror) or is there a problem in the wiki, for instance that
it cuts off the lower part of the index in the left frame?

I had planned to add exclude lists "some time later" - that is
apparently an important and urgent issue.