BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] [OT] Documentation practices (was: Re: vista backup question)

2009-01-09 00:58:31
Subject: [BackupPC-users] [OT] Documentation practices (was: Re: vista backup question)
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:56:30 -0500
Holger Parplies wrote at about 06:10:48 +0100 on Friday, January 9, 2009:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Cody Dunne wrote on 2009-01-09 10:58:27 +0800 [Re: [BackupPC-users] vista
 > backup question]:
 > > Holger Parplies wrote:
 > > > you keep quoting your guide. How about contributing the information (or
 > > > at
 > > > least the pointer, but better the information) to the wiki?
 > >
 > > I copied the excludes a while back to the Common_backup_excludes page on
 > > the wiki, and keep it updated. If anyone wants to put a link to the
 > > other parts of my guide on the wiki or even make a page for all of it,
 > > they're welcome to as long as they cite the source. I'm not interested
 > > in maintaining both copies, though.
 >
 > I don't really care one way or the other. Personally, I don't visit random
 > web
 > sites. If I was looking for information on BackupPC, I'd look at the wiki.
 > When I give references, those will be to the wiki. If your guide was part of
 > the wiki, I'd look at it, reference it, and maybe make suggestions for
 > improvements (or add them to the wiki myself). As it isn't, I won't (I don't
 > reference what I haven't looked at).
 >
 > The BackupPC software is open source and available through sourceforge. If
 > you
 > prefer to offer documentation elsewhere, that is your choice (you may have
 > good reasons for doing so - I don't know). Providing documentation is
 > commendable. Making it easily available would be even more so. But that's
 > just
 > my opinion.
 >
 > There is a lot of information available on the mailing list. Much of it
 > doesn't get copied into the wiki. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure that's a
 > pity. And it's no coincidence I explicitly cc'ed Jeffrey ;-).

Hmmm... I had to think for a few moments to understand the
reference... I assume you are referring to my comments a couple of
days ago about how people keep asking the same questions and that maybe
it should be added to the FAQ.

My problem is that I am from the pre-Wiki and pre-HTML generation and
am a bit of a Luddite in never getting into them or figuring out
how/why to edit them. So, I was thinking in the context of the old
command-and-control ASCII-based FAQ list where it is owned by one
person and edited in emacs (or if you must vi). Maybe I should figure
out what this whole Wiki/HTML/WYSIWYG thing is all about one
day... (for full disclosure, I also never use the web interface for
BackupPC except as a way to pretty-print status and backup history
since I much prefer CLI's and editing config files by hand -- hence
why I was pushing for a fusefs representation of backups rather than
the slow and clunky web navigation).

Still as a general comment, it would be nice if new users would at
least tried to search the archive or even google before asking the
same questions. I'm not perfect, but I at least make an attempt ;)