BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] vista backup question

2009-01-08 12:56:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] vista backup question
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:52:42 -0700
in case you were unaware, junction points = hardlinks on ntfs.

Just exclude all of the WinXP directories like "Documents and Settings" to solve this.  Vista users the "Users" directory instead..

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Cody Dunne <cdunne AT cs.umd DOT edu> wrote:
Hi Mark,

Mark Maciolek wrote:
> hi,
>
> Running 3.1.0 on CentOS 5.2 with 40 clients so far mostly Linux systems.
> Added my first Vista system today. Used Deltacopy to install rsync.
>
> The backup worked but still had 13446 error transfer, mainly file name
> too long.
>
> Remote[1]: rsync: readlink_stat("All Users/Application Data/Application
> Data/Application Data/Application Data/Application Data/Application
> Data/Application Data/Application Data/Application Data/...
>

> Basically it is repeating the Application Data over and over again.
>
> Has anyone seen this issue and know how to prevent it?
>
> Mark

That's because rsync is following the Vista junction points for the old
XP locations of things. See
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html#Xfer
for the excludes you need to pass to rsync.

Cody