BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] vista backup question

2009-01-08 13:16:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] vista backup question
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 13:11:17 -0500
dan wrote at about 10:52:42 -0700 on Thursday, January 8, 2009:
 > in case you were unaware, junction points = hardlinks on ntfs.
Similar but not the same by any means.
Junction points are more "powerful" and hence more dangerous than
hardlinks.
  - Junction points can be on different file systems
  - Junction points can be directories
Also:
  - Junction points require special utility to delete properly (vs
        standard "rm" for hard links)
  - With hard links, all links are identical -- i.e. there is no
        notion of which is the original and which are the links. Not true
        with junctions since the storage is associated with the original file
All of the above can cause problems if you are not careful.
(Note I am not an expert on junction points and they traditionally
have not been well documented so I may be missing some subtleties...)