BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] host config file command line editor ?

2009-01-09 00:20:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] host config file command line editor ?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:18:22 -0500
Alex wrote at about 10:41:35 -0500 on Thursday, January 8, 2009:

 > Hi there,
 > i'm not aware using Perl scripting, but ok with bash / php.
 > Then, i'd like to know if there's a way to set values for per pc config file
 > using command line tool ?

I'm having a little trouble understanding your English (not ur fault)
but it seems like you are looking to use bash or php to do per-host
configuration.

Since the config files (and BackupPC itself) are written in Perl, it
would seem that Perl is the natural language to use.
If you only want to set variables on a per-machine basis, you just
need to copy/paste/edit the existing config file for each machine --
you don't really need to know any Perl except the most basic of
variable and array assignment syntax.

If you want to 'hack' the config script to run some actual perl code
(and not just assign static variables) then you may need to know a
little Perl code and I have posted last month some tricks you can use.