BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Change target directory

2009-01-07 11:41:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Change target directory
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:39:25 +0100
$Conf{TopDir} appears to be a "hardly coded variable". My understanding
is that, in your configuration file, you can set it to any value you
want, but that the result you intuitively expect will only be achieved
as long as you stay within the file-system that contains the backuppc
configuration data.

Google reveals abundant references to that topic. I had found clear
instructions on what to do in the wiki, but can't find them any more -
the wiki appears to have been recently improved. From memory, here are
the 2 principal alternatives for using a directory on another file-system:

1. mount - as already suggested - your backup file-system directly at
    the mount point /var/lib/backuppc
2. do a "bind"-mount of the backup file-system
      - mount your backup file-system at the mount point of your choice,
        e.g. <backup-mount>
      - do "mount --bind <backup-mount> /var/lib/backuppc"
    to have this done automatically at boot time, add a line to your
    /etc/fstab file
      - <backup-mount> /var/lib/backuppc none bind

In both cases, set the TopDir variable correspondingly. Also make sure
to save any data previously stored at /var/lib/backuppc before you use
that node as a mount point.

This is really from memory: I am far from home and do not have access to
the system with backuppc and the corresponding notes.

<big smiley> and cheers!