BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote backups of a win2003 server keeps failing after a certain amount of time.

2009-01-07 11:29:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote backups of a win2003 server keeps failing after a certain amount of time.
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:18:39 -0500
Koen Linders wrote at about 14:05:56 +0000 on Wednesday, January 7, 2009:
 > Thanks for the reply.
 >
 > I changed the value to 144000 for this client and will wait another day (or
 > two).
 >
 > Maybe it hangs on a specific file? I hope changing the value worked.

That is very likely with Windoze. Rsync with protocol 28 can get stuck
on files with "long" or "weird" filenames. If so you will see that
rsync stops partway through by looking at the XferLOG file.

Note this problem doesn't occur with protocol 30 (used by rsync 3.0)
BUT this is not yet supported by perl-File-RsyncP.

You can get around this by using rsyncd (with or without a separate
ssh tunnel) instead of straight rsync.

This question seems to come up once a week or more. If not already in
the FAQ it should probably be added. Maybe it should also be added to
the comments in the config.pl file too.