BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Change target directory

2009-01-07 11:54:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Change target directory
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:52:25 +0100
Juergen Harms wrote:

> $Conf{TopDir} appears to be a "hardly coded variable". My
> understanding
> is that, in your configuration file, you can set it to any value you
> want, but that the result you intuitively expect will only be achieved
> as long as you stay within the file-system that contains the backuppc
> configuration data.

The thing is that the TopDir location is also written into some lib
file at install time. If you install a BackupPC package the same thing
applies: if you just change it in the config file, it won't work.

> From memory, here are the 2 principal alternatives for using a
> directory on another file-system:
>
> 1. mount - as already suggested - your backup file-system directly at
>    the mount point /var/lib/backuppc
> 2. do a "bind"-mount of the backup file-system
>      - mount your backup file-system at the mount point of your
> choice,
>        e.g. <backup-mount>
>      - do "mount --bind <backup-mount> /var/lib/backuppc"
>    to have this done automatically at boot time, add a line to your
>    /etc/fstab file
>      - <backup-mount> /var/lib/backuppc none bind

You can also use a plain symlink. These solutions have been posted
many times to this mailinglist.

Nils Breunese.