BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote backups of a win2003 server keeps failing after a certain amount of time.

2009-01-07 11:06:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote backups of a win2003 server keeps failing after a certain amount of time.
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:03:47 -0500
Koen Linders wrote at about 10:17:20 +0000 on Wednesday, January 7, 2009:
 > Remote backups of a win2003 server keeps failing after a certain amount of
 > time (almost every time about 20h later / data 11 GB already done).
 >
 > Backup method: Rsyncd
 > Server client: Rsync via Deltacopy (great piece of easy to configure
 > software thanks to someone on this list, works perfectly for win2K, winXP,
 > vista, win2003)
 >
 > Slow upload +- 512 KB/s
 > 25 GB of data on a separate partition (not the windows one)
 >
 > Another win2003 with similar data (but less 9g) hasn't got a problem. The
 > first full needed 24h, +- 100 KB/s average.
 >
 > => Could it be a specific file is too big? Too long name?
That or filenames with weird characters.
This could be resolved when/if perl-File-RsyncP is upgraded to work
with rsync 3.0+ and protocol 30.
Alternatively, in the meantime, the problem is resolved if you use
rsyncd daemon rather than pure rsync. You can either do this raw or
tunneling over ssh via localhost. See much discussion of this in the
archive.
If not already, this should probably be in the FAQ.