BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] General question about backuppc

2009-01-05 11:58:29
Subject: [BackupPC-users] General question about backuppc
From: marian.thieme AT arcor DOT de
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:56:23 +0100 (CET)
Hi everybody,

I am interested in backuppc to and I did a testinstallation. Also I played a
bit around with the configuration.
Now I am not sure anymore if that is suited to me: I have the following
szenario:

A network with several lab computer that generate data (lab_pc1, lap_pc2, ...).
A central file server that should collect all the data that are generated by
the several lab computers.
for instance, all the data are centrally stored in:
/data/lab_pc1/...
/data/lab_pc2/...
The data should be automatically copied to the server once a day.

Afterwards I want to access the data via the fileserver. It would be nice when
the server is able to automatically collect the data and only collect that data
that are new. Furthermore, data that are removed from a lab pc should still
kept/held by the server.

Do you think backuppc is the suited for that ?
Did look in the directory where the files are backed up and found a directory
structure like that: backuppc/pc/localhost/0/f%2fetc/.
Thats not what I want. I want simply a mirror of my data directory on lap_pcXX.

Is it possible to configure backuppc to simply mirroring/syncing certain data
directories ? (But keeping files, that were removed)
Can you recommend me other tools, running under linux (debian) ?

Best,
Marian

Jetzt komfortabel bei Arcor-Digital TV einsteigen: Mehr Happy Ends, mehr
Herzschmerz, mehr Fernsehen! Erleben Sie 50 digitale TV Programme und optional
60 Pay TV Sender, einen elektronischen Programmführer mit Movie Star
Bewertungen von TV Movie. Außerdem, aktuelle Filmhits und spannende Dokus in
der Arcor-Videothek. Infos unter www.arcor.de/tv