BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup or Archive to Remote Linux Box

2008-12-30 15:18:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup or Archive to Remote Linux Box
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:05:56 -0500
Stephen Joyce <stephen AT physics.unc DOT edu> wrote on 12/29/2008 01:05:44 PM:

> I assume you're most worried about your server going tango uniform (in a

> fire, simultaneous disk failure, etc), and not "rm -rf *". Correct?
>
> Has anyone successfully used BackupPC on a DRBD (http://www.drbd.org)
> active/passive, or even active/active, cluster? If so, what can you
report?

The biggest problem with this is that you're most likely looking for
off-site replication:  a fire/tornado/theft would affect both members of
the cluster.  And doing DRDB over a slow connection (i.e. WAN) is going to
*seriously* slow down your backups...

That's why so *very* many of us have asked these same questions so *many*
times.  What I think many of us (read:  ME!) would like is a way to
replicate a backup from one server to another without hammering the host
that needs to be backed up twice.  After all, the fact that it needs to be
backed up means that it does real, valuable work;  whereas the backup
servers spend most of their time idle, just *begging* to replicate data
somewhere else...  :)

Tim Massey